Óbidos Religious Heritage: Visit us!
Óbidos Religious Heritage history
The fantastic history of Óbidos is made up of remote peoples, Celts, Romans, Mours, conquests, castles, Kings and Queens.
Since the Neolithic times, people have settled here by the sea to make their lives and write their history.
This is true through the Celtibero of Outeiro da Assenta Castro.
Later, the Celts and the Romans built the city of Eburobrittium here, where today some ruins remain.
Then there was a long period when these lands were occupied by the Arabs, that was until January 11, 1148 when the first Portuguese king conquered the castle of Óbidos!
Until the year 1834 (the year in which it was extinct) the town of Óbidos belonged to the "Casa das Rainhas" and of course served as a crossing point for most Portuguese queens.
This tradition began when King D. Dinis (1279-1325) offered the village to his wife D. Isabel as a dowry.
Other important impacts to mention in the most recent history of Vila de Óbidos will be the Lisbon earthquake of 1775 and the preparatory meeting that gave rise to the Carnation Revolt - 25 April, which dictated the fall of the Portuguese dictatorial regime in 1974.
Igreja de São João Baptista
The Óbidos Religious Heritage includes the Church of São João Baptista, whose oldest records (former chapel of S. Vicente) were built by Queen Isabel in 1309, after her marriage to D. Dinis (1279-1325) - "The farmer".
Offering the village as a wedding gift, the queen founds a leprosy with a chapel dedicated to São Vicente (cruelly martyred to death in the persecution of the Christians in 304).
Today, the church houses the Parochial Museum that promotes temporary exhibitions in a space with a scenario enriched by the times.
Igreja de São Pedro
Another beautiful example of the Óbidos Religious Heritage is the Church of São Pedro, consecrated to the apostle São Pedro.
Affected by the 1755 earthquake, today it preserves on the façade, only vestiges of the old Gothic portal.
Inside, 18th century images that refer to Santa Barbara, São Pedro and São Paulo deserve special mention. As well as, the vaulted chancel, which has an impressive gilded altarpiece framing a canvas by João da Costa (an Obidense artist) that represents São Pedro receiving the keys to heaven.
Silently exploring the historical richness of this church, we also find the famous tomb of Josefa de Óbidos (1634-1684).
The talented artist was buried here, at her request, in order to stay close to her mystical godmother, Nossa Senhora do Rosário. Latent image in this beautiful church.
Igreja de Santa Maria
The most emblematic example of Óbidos Religious Heritage is the Church of Santa Maria.
This is the head church of the village, located in the square named after her, was built at the behest of D. Afonso Henriques (1143-1185) - O Conquistador (the Conqueror), on ruins of a another temple.
Later, in the 16th century, the temple was to be entirely rebuilt in the reign of D. João III (1521-1557) and Queen D. Catarina.
Unusually beautiful, this religious treasure must be visited in time, in order to absorb all its spiritual and historical environment.
In its Manueline façade, the image of Santa Maria venerated by angels is praised. Passing the cover, inside, harmonious 17th century tiles line the walls.
Among the countless works on display, the oils of Josefa de Óbidos (1634-1684) and her father, the Obidense Baltazar Gomes, stand out.
Another gem to visit inside the temple is the magnificent tomb of João de Noronha, a work by Nicolau Chanterene, initiator of Renaissance sculpture in Portugal.
Igreja da Misericórdia
The Igreja da Misericórdia is another excellent example of the Religious Heritage of Óbidos.
During the reign of D. João II (1481-1495) - O Perfeito (the Perfect), his Queen - D. Leonor - A Perfeita, ordered the construction of what would become the Church of Misericórdia.
From this church there is evidence of its Baroque style and inside, its nave covered with blue and yellow tiles from the XVII century and two paintings by André Reinoso showing the Visitation of the Virgin to Santa Isabel and Pentecost.
Igreja de São Tiago
The Church of São Tiago is dated 1186 and was built during the period of King D. Sancho I (1185-1211) and second king of the kingdom of Portugal.
It is another beautiful example of the Óbidos Religious Heritage.
This church was the one that served the royal family during their stays in the village of Óbidos and the one that had great wealth.
With the 1755 earthquake, it was completely destroyed and rebuilt after 20 years (1772).
Noteworthy is the altarpiece of the main altar, a painting representing São Tiago Maior, a mannerist table attributed to Luís de Morales (although there is no certainty about the veracity of the author of the painting) which will have been part of the primitive altarpiece that can be find exposed in the Municipal Museum of the Village of Óbidos.
Capela de São Martinho
The Chapel of São Martinho is a family funeral chapel and is located in front of the Church of São Pedro and was founded by Senhor Padre Pêro Fernandes in 1331.
The aspects that stand out in view are: the front which is topped by a dog and stands out the ogival portico of 3 archivolts based on columns of vegetal capitals and where you can read a Gothic inscription.
The interior of the Chapel of São Martinho can be seen 3 tombs in pointed arches that are covered by a ribbed vault and on the outside 2 more medieval tombs, the one on the right armored with five shields.
A treasure at the heart of the village.
Ermida Nossa Senhora de Monserrate
The altarpiece, painted by Belchior de Matos (c. 1600) represents Saint John in Patmos and other saints linked to the Franciscan order.
The Nossa Senhora de Monserrate Chapel can be found on the outskirts (near the wall of the village of Óbidos).
The Chapel has a Baroque portal with the weapons of the Franciscan religious order.
Then its interior consists of only one nave and the chancel is covered by a dome.
The tiles (first half of the 17th century) that cover its side and top walls stand out.
The triumphal arch and the chancel are covered in a polychrome pattern.
Ermida de Nossa Senhora do Carmo
The Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Carmo is located outside the wall of the village of Óbidos and there are several stories about its origin.
On the west side of the slope of the Vila, the Hermitage is associated with an ancient Roman temple in honor of Jupiter (Zeus for the Greeks), and the story goes that there are tombs containing Roman inscriptions there.
Like much of the monumental heritage of the village of Óbidos, the Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Carmo suffered from the earthquake that occurred in the year 1755 and the works that were carried out after (already in the XX century) result in its current facade.
Noteworthy are its medieval belfry and the ancient image of the patron saint, São João Baptista - a 15th century sculpture that can be seen at the Municipal Museum.
Santuário do Senhor Jesus da Pedra
The Sanctuary of Senhor Jesus da Pedra is full of architectural features, namely its inverted windows and a plan that combines cylindrical planes on the outside as hexagonal ones on the inside.
The Sanctuary is at the entrance to the village of Óbidos on the road that connects to the city of Caldas da Rainha. I was built in 1747 and its architect is Captain Rodrigo Franco.
The interior consists of 3 chapels dedicated to Calvary (chancel) where the painting of André Gonçalves and his other 2 side chapels devoted to Nossa Senhora da Conceição and the Death of São José with paintings by José da Costa Negreiros stand out.
One of the highlights of the visit is the stone image of the crucified Christ, in his own design on the main altar, a figure that was found in a chapel next to the road that connects the village of Óbidos to the city of Caldas da Rainha.
The Sanctuary of Senhor Jesus da Pedra is one of the richest examples of the religious heritage of Óbidos.