Obidos Parish Museum
The Obidos Parish Museum resides in the restored S. João Bapista Church and tells the story that was built in 1309 by Queen Santa Isabel.
The church is located near the main entrance to the village of Óbidos and is one of the most important buildings within the castle walls.
In those old days the Church of S. João de Bapista served to support the existing lepers community and later passed to belong to the Santa Casa da Misericórdia de Óbidos, the institution founded by another of the great queens that passed through the village – Queen D. Leonor.
Recently restored with the support of the City Council, the Church of S. João Baptista, located next to Porta da Vila, is one of the most symbolic buildings and an essential reference of the Heritage built in Óbidos.
The big bet for this space is the temporary exhibitions of medium duration as well as an incentive to study and publicize the artistic and historical assets of the church.